Baby Corn Masala: I was having 2 packets of babycorn lying in my fridge. Since that day was a Chinese New Year and all our family members were at home. So thought of trying something special for every one and tried this vegetable pulao and prepared the Babycorn Masala as the side dish. Everybody loved both the dishes. Let's see the preparation of Babycorn Masala and in my next post, will see the vegetable pulao recipe.
Preparation time: 10 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves: 5
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
Babycorn - 10 (chop as you like)
Chilli powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/5 tsp
Garam masala - 3/4 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 1 tbsp
Milk - 1 cup (cream - 1/2 cup)
Salt as per taste
Water - as needed for the gravy
Cloves - 3 to 4
Cinnamon stick - 1 (crushed nicely)
Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
Star anise - 1
Bay leaf - 1
To grind I
Onion - 2
Tomato - 2
Green chilli - 2
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1.5 tsp
To grind II
Cashew nuts - 12 to 15
Coconut - 2 tbsp (optional)
1. Wash and soak cashews in hot water for 10 min. Grind it to a fine paste along with coconut adding little water and keep it ready.
2. Wash and cut the Babycorn to your desired shape. Pressure cook it for 3 whistles adding little salt.
3. In a kadai or wok, add 1 tbsp oil and sauté the onion first. Then add the ginger garlic paste, green chilli and when raw smell of ginger goes, add the tomato and again sauté it well.
4. Cool the contents and grind to a coarse paste in a food processor.
5. In the same vessel, add the oil and ghee and add the tempering items one by one. Now add the onion tomato paste and saute them well.
6. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala and salt. Sauté them nicely till the oil oozes out. This might take around 10 min.
7. Add the cashew paste and little water. When it starts boiling add the Babycorn. Let the masala gets coated on the babycorn.
8. Add the cream or milk and allow to cook for another 2 min and switch off the stove.
9. Garnish with Coriander leaves and serve hot with chappathi or Vegetable Pulao.
1. Adding ghee is purely optional. But I feel, it enhances the taste.
2. Adding cream, gives richer taste. At the time of preparation, I do not have cream in hand and so added the milk.
3. Water can be adjusted according your required consistency.