Coconut Sevai or Thengai Sevai, is one of the light Breakfast or tiffen items, we used to have it fortnightly. It is easy to prepare yet tasty. We can do many variations in the sevai like, lemon sevai, tamarind sevai, coconut sevai. Now we see how to prepare coconut sevai.
You can check some breakfast recipes below
How to make coconut sevai / Thengai Sevai
- Sevai/Dried Rice noodles - 2 cups
- Boiling water - 2 cups
- Salt - a pinch
- Coconut oil - 1 tsp
- Sunflower oil - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - a pinch
- Urud dal - 1/4 tsp
- Bengal gram - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves - 10 to 15
- Dried chillies - 3
- Asafoetida - 1/6 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Cashews - few
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Take 2 cups of sevai and salt and add boiling water, until it is covered.
2. Keep it closed for 5 min. Do not keep for more, as the rice noodles becomes mushy. Filter the sevai and spread it in a plate, and allow to dry.
3. In a wok or kadai, add coconut oil and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds, urud dal, bengal gram and fry till the bengal gram becomes golden brown colour.
4. Add the curry leaves, dried chillies, salt and asafoetida and fry for few minutes.
5. Fry the coconut for few minutes. Take care not to over fry it.
6. Add in the Sevai or rice noodles.
7. Mix the sevai thoroughly, till the ingredients are well mixed.
8. In a separate kadai or pan, add 1 tsp ghee and fry the cashews till golden brown.
9. Mix it to the sevai and give a stir.
10. Delicious and yummy coconut sevai is ready to be served.
1. I used frozen grated coconut. You can use fresh coconut.
2. You can add peanuts/groundnuts while frying the curry leaves.
3. My mom used to fry the cashews in ghee and add it separately in the final stage. One of my friend, used to add cashews too while adding curry leaves stage itself.
4. You can use replace coconut oil with normal cooking oil too. But I feel, the flavor gets reduced in my opinion.
5. Red chillies can be replaced by green chillies. But keep in mind of the spiciness.