It's time for celebration again.Wondering what??.. It's my blog anniversary. Yes entering into 5th year of blogging.So I prepared this Badam Halwa or Almond Halwa to celebrate it. Actually I thought of preparing Badam Burfi, but my mom suggested to prepare this Badam Halwa. It was so easy and the taste is amazing. I just followed blindly what my mom instructed and the outcome was awesome. Try and let me know how was the outcome of Badam Halwa.
If you wish you can view the following badam / Almond recipes
Preparation time: 45 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Serves: 6
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Almonds / Badam - 1.5 cups
Sugar - 1 cup
Ghee - 6 to 7 tbsp
Saffron - 1 pinch
Milk - 1/2 cup ( + or - )
Cardamom - 1/5 tsp crushed
Water - as needed
1. Soak the almonds in medium hot water for 1 hour.
2. Soak the saffron in 1/4 cup hot milk. Remove the almond skin.
3. Transfer the almonds to the food processor with 4 tbsp milk first. Grind for few min. Now add the saffron soaked milk and again grind to a smooth paste by stopping at regular intervals and adding either a tsp of water or milk.
4. When it is smooth, keep it aside. In a pan add sugar.
5. Add water till the sugar gets soaked. Do not add more water. When the sugar starts dissolves, add the badam paste.
6. Start stirring, as it might stick to the vessel. Add ghee at regular intervals. Add crushed cardamom.
7. Keep stirring till the ghee oozes out from the halwa and that Halwa got thickened.
8. Pour it in a greased plate and allow to cool down completely.
9. Garnish with saffron and serve the tasty Badam Halwa.
Easy and tasty Badam Halwa / Almond Halwa is ready
1. If your halwa, is sticky add it again to the pan and add some more ghee.
2. If you are health concerned, you can reduce the ghee, but cannot assure whether you can get the same taste.
2. Adding milk/condensed milk enriches the taste, but reduces shelf life of the halwa.
This Instant Kesar Badam Milk, I prepared with the Home made Kesar Badam Mix. This is so simple, tasty and healthier home made drink, which we can give to our kids. If you got any guests suddenly, you can mix this powder with milk, fry some cashews and raisins, mix to this milk and serve it as hot Badam Kheer. I prepared this Kesar Badam Milk, the same day when I prepared the Badam Mix.
I used to give MTR badam milk or Complan Kesar Badam to my kids at least twice a week. Two weeks before both got over and I got the idea of why can't we prepare a Home Made Kesar Badam Mix so that it has more quantity badam and Kesar. So I searched for the recipe and used this recipe to prepare the mix. Using this mix, I prepared the Kesar Badam Milk. This mix can be handy and you can use this for preparing Badam kheer. The original recipe did not call for dry frying the badams but my mil told to do as it might last longer days while storing it.
Some Badam / Almond Recipes to view in this blog Almond Carrot Juice Almond Icecream Almond Sweet Dates Almond Milk Oats Almond Cookies
Home Made Kesar Badam Mix Powder
Preparation time: 40 min | Cook Time: 05 min Total Time: 45 min | Serves: 6
Recipe Category: Powders | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Badam / Almonds - 1 cup headed
Cashews - 1/5 cup
Cardamom - 7
Saffron - few ( 3 pinch )
Sugar - 1/2 cup ( optional )
1. Take almonds and transfer to big bowl where almonds kept in single layer.
2. Add boiling water to the almonds and wait for 3 min. Immediately transfer it to the filter and show it in running water.
3. Now peel off the skin and spread ii in a cotton cloth and leave it until all moisture goes off. ( keep under fan for faster drying). Chop them into small pieces. Chop the cashews too.
4. Dry fry them in a pan, until they become crunchier or till they become slight brown colour. Allow to cool down.
5. Dry the cashews until light brown and cool down. Fry the cardamom and saffron also. Do not over fry saffron as they become black.
6. Now add the fried contents to a food processor and grind in medium speed. Stop after a minute and add the sugar.
7. Grind till you get a fine powder. Do not over grind, as the almonds releases oil.
8. Store it in a air tight container and keep in fridge for more self life.
1. Adding sugar is purely optional. I added as my children eat the powder sometimes. If you want to add you can powder the sugar separately and add. Or while doing any recipe also you can add sugar according to your taste.
2. You can add some pistachios also.
3. While searching net, one of the recipe calls for adding a pinch of turmeric powder for more yellowish color.
It's time for a celebration. Yes, I prepared this Chocolate burfi as my 400th Post. I was so happy. There are many fellow bloggers who blogs so frequently with great recipes. Though I could not post that frequently, I love my cooking, blogging and posting recipes, whenever I get time. I could not have achieved this without your support and appreciation. A big thank you for my family, all the fellow bloggers, my readers.
Actually this burfi I tried long before using this recipe here, and used home made khoya. But it didn't turn out well. So again I tried using store bought khoya and followed the same recipe but did not add milk, as my mom told, it might reduce the self life and the result was awesome and I was so happy. Will again try with homemade khoya some other time. Let's go to the recipe Chocolate Burfi using Khoya.
Chocolate Burfi using Khoya
Preparation time: 05 min | Cook Time: 30 min Total Time: 35 min | Serves: 6
Recipe Category: Dessert | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Ingredients Khoya - 250 gms (when crushed came to 2 1/4 cups) Sugar - 1.5 cups Ghee - 1/2 tsp (for greasing) Cocoa powder - 1.5 tbsp Crushed cardamom - 2 pinch ( optional ) Few Saffron and nuts for garnishing
1. Grease a plate with 1/2 tsp ghee and keep it ready. Crush the khoya and divide half the portion and keep it aside. Add first portion to the medium hot pan. Add half of the sugar. Keep stirring. Sugar and khoya leaves out water and tend to stick to the pan so keep on stirring.
2. Add the cardamom powder mix well. Dont allow the mawa to turn brown. Just cook till it thickens and when it attains the thick consistency, transfer it to the greased plate and flatten it.
3. To the same pan, add the remaining portion of khoya, sugar and keep stirring. When it loosens, add the cocoa powder and mix well till it thickens.
4. Spread this content above the white layered khoya. Flatten it immediately. You can use any butter paper or baking sheet for this to get smooth top layer. I just used the spoon to do it. So mine is not that much smooth.
5. Allow to cool completely and using a pizza cutter or a knife, draw squares and cut into pieces.
6. Remove them carefully and serve them.
Yummy and tasty Chocolate Burfi is ready
1. For richer taste, you can add 1/4 cup milk to the burfi, but it reduces its self life, also takes longer time to get the thick consistency.
2. This burfi can be stored for 3 days outside and 2 weeks in fridge.
3. Adding cardamom is purely optional. You can add a drop of vanilla essence also.
4. You can adjust the sugar level as per your sweet tooth.