I am not a big fan of ragi flour dishes other than Ragi Koozh. Actually I have a love hate relationship with Ragi. Sometimes I start cooking Ragi Dosa, Ragi upma, Ragi Puttu etc... and after sometime I start hating it. I don't why. Poor Ragi. Now again I started my liking towards Ragi and planned to prepare different recipes using this ingredient. So I start with this easy and spicy Ragi Semiya Upma.
Salt - as per taste + 3/4 tsp while cooking the semiya
Coriander leaves - for garnishing
1. Add the uncooked Ragi Semiya to a big bowl and add 3/4tsp of salt. Add the boiling water, till it covers the Semiya fully.
2. Now close the vessel and let it rest for 5 min. Leave it only for 5 min otherwise it might become so mushy. (Or check the instructions given in the packet)
3. Filter the content and keep aside. Now transfer the content to the Idli plates and steam cook for another 5 min as we cook the idlis.
4. Remove from the idli cooker and allow to cool down.
5. Now in a pan, add oil and when hot add the mustard seeds. When it splutters add the Urud dal, channa dal and curry leaves. When they turn light brown, add the onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Fry them nicely till the onions become translucent. Now add the cooked semiya.
6. Keep mixing the semiya till it gets mixed fully with other ingredients. This takes just 2 to 3 min.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with groundnut chutney.