How to make Spicy Egg Masala
Preparation time: 30 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves:5
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Eggs – 4
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Cloves – 5
- Star anise – 1
- Fennel seeds – 1/6th tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Onion – 2 big (chopped finely)
- Tomato – 2 big (chopped finely)
- Mustard seeds – 2 pinch
- Urud dal – 1/5th tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – 1/4 tsp
- Salt as needed
- Water as needed
1. Boil the eggs. [Inorder to prevent the eggs from breaking while boiling, add a pinch of salt. (This is my MIL tip and I am following it) ].
2. Remove the out skin.
3. Make a vertical slit as shown. Like wise do 4 to 5 slits in a egg without breaking it. Do the same for rest of the eggs and keep aside.
4. Take all the spices, onion and tomato and keep ready.
5. In a kadai/vessel or pan, add oil and when hot, add the spices, fry for a min and the red chilli, and half of the onion and the tomatoes.
6. Saute the onions till translucent and add the tomatoes till they becomes mushy.
7. When the onions andtomatoes has reached the consistency as below, allow it to cool for a while and transfer it to the food processor or a mixer grinder and grind to a fine paste as shown. Keep is aside.
8. Now in the same vessel, add 1 tsp oil and add the mustard seeds, urud dal, curry leaves, remaining onion and saute for a while.
9. When the onions turns soft, add in the ground paste. It is is too thick, add little water and allow to boil.
10. Now add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
11. Add the garam masala and cook in low flame. The oil stars oozing out the corners.
12. Add the hard boiled eggs and try to add the masala inside the slits of the eggs. Mix carefully and take care not the break the eggs.
13. Garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Serve hot with plain rice, rasam satham, or roti.
You can reduce the spiciness by reducing the red chillies or reducing the pepper while grinding.