I never heard about quinoa until I came into the blogging world. Hope many of you also like me. First time I saw this in Mustafa Centre, but did not buy as I have no idea what to do. After that I searched net and came across some great recipes. I saw many of our friends trying this payasam and I too thought of trying the sweet recipe first, which also suits for my event.
- Quinoa seeds - 1 cup
- Water - 2 cups
- Salt - a pinch (optional)
- Milk - 3/4 litre
- Sugar - 1.5 cups (adjust accordingly to the sweetness)
- Nuts - few cashews, almonds, pista
- Raisins - few
- Few strands of saffron
- Ghee for frying the nuts - 1 tsp
- Wash and cook quinoa with 2 cups of water and salt in the pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- In a small pan, add ghee and fry the nuts and raisins and keep aside.
- In a wide pan, add the milk and saffron and allow the milk to boil.
- Now add in the cooked quinoa and sugar and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the fried nuts and raisins, give a stir.
- Healthy and delicious quinoa payasam is ready to be served.
Quinoa can be cooked without the pressure cooker also, but takes more than 10 min.
Salt is optional. We used to add a pinch of salt as we feel it enhances the taste.
This goes to my event Dish name starts with Q