How to make Pudalangai Poriyal
- Pudalangai / Snake gourd - 1
- Channa dal / Bengal gram - 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds - a pinch
- Urud dal - 1 tsp
- Dry red chillies - 4
- Onion - 1 medium chopped finely
- Coconut - 1/4 cup (grated)
- Curry leaves - few
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
1. Wash the snakegourd and scrape the outer skin with the knife.
2. Cut lengthwise and remove the seeds. Then cut the snakegourd into small pieces as shown.
3. In a small pan, wash and pressure cook the channa dal / bengal gram with little turmeric for 1 or 2 whistle. Do not overcook it, as it may turn mushy. It should look as shown in the below picture (cooked dal)
4. In a kadai / wok, add the oil, and when it is hot, add the mustard seeds, urud dal, curry leaves, red chillies and onion one by one as mentioned.
5. Cook till onion are half cooked.
6. Add in the snake gourd and channa dal and mix well.
8. When they are done, add in the grated/shredded coconut and mix well.
10. Serve it as a side dish for rasam sadam or sambar sadam as I do.
You can also check
|Snake gourd Kootu|