Mutton Biryani or Lamb Biryani has become famous now a days in our home. I used to buy mutton in India, but after coming to Singapore, we do not get good mutton, near by our place and so stopped cooking mutton. But one of my friend suggested to buy mutton from Mustafa and tried it. It was soft and got cooked properly. So started buying from there, whenever we go for shopping. This Mutton Biryani I tried last week and it was perfect. Do try this at home and drop your comments.
Other Mutton Recipes for you to view....
Mutton Kola Urundai
Mutton Pepper Fry
How to make Mutton Biryani
Mutton - 1/2 kg
Curd / Yogurt - 3 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 1/5 tsp
Biryani Masala - 1.5 tsp
Cloves - 4
Cinnamon stick - 1
Cardomom - 1
Bay leaf - 1
Star Anise - 2
Basmathi rice - 3 cups
Onion - 2 (chopped lengthwise)
Tomato - 2
Ginger Garlic Paste - 1.5 tsp
Green Chillies - 2 (slit into half - lengthwise)
Chilli powder - 1.5 tsp
Mint leaves - 1/4 cup
Coriander leaves - 1/4 cup
Water - 5 cups (1.5 + 3.5)
Oil - 2 tbsp
Ghee - 2 tbsp
Cashews - few (optional)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt - as per taste
1. Wash the mutton nicely with salt. This helps to remove the raw smell from the mutton. Add the salt, ginger garlic paste, turmeric powder, curd and biryani masala. (you can add garam masala also instead of biryani masala).
4. In the pressure cooker or pan, add the oil and when it is hot, add the ingredients mentioned in To temper one by one and fry for a min, keeping flame in medium.
5. Add the onion and ginger garlic paste and saute, till the raw smell of ginger goes off.
6. Add the green chillies, coriander leaves and the mint leaves. Saute them nicely.
7. Add the tomato.
8. Saute them nicely, till tomatoes are mushy.
9. Add the marinated mutton pieces and add the salt and the chilli powder.
10. Saute the mutton, for 3 min and then add the water (1.5 cups).
11. Let it cook for 5 whistles. (see notes)
12. Add the remaining water and when boiling, add the soaked rice.
15. Add the ghee and again mix it.
16. Cover the lid and after 5 min, open and serve hot.
17. Yummy and delicious Mutton Biryani is ready to be served.
1. While marinating, adding biryani masala, makes the mutton more tastier. Garam masala can be added instead.
2. Do not skip the step of marinating the mutton for a more tastier biryani.
3. While cooking mutton, the no. of whistles, depends on the cooker makes. If the mutton, not cooked, close the lid and cook again until the mutton becomes tender.
4. You can add fried onions before serving.