This is really a very delicious halwa. I didnt expect that this halwa would turn out this much good. When i made this halwa and gave to my family members, they were asking whether this is almond halwa…. ha ha ha.. nobody believed it, it is made of the channa dal/kadalai paruppu. After i showed the step wise pictures only even my hubby believed… I am very happy and proud to join the group SNC started by Divya of You too can cook Indian Food and realise now, that I should have joined it before itself. Missed many delicious recipes… wahhh. Though I prepared this halwa in the first week of March itself, but now only, found time to post it. Now I am really waiting for the next exciting challenge.
- Channa dal / Kadalai paruppu – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Khoya – 1 cup
- Cardamon Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Saffron strands – a pinch (optional)
- Nuts like, cashews, almonds, pistas – few
- Raisins – few
- Ghee – 4 tsp
- Wash and Soak channa dal for 2 hrs.
- Filter the water and drain completely.
- Grind the channa dal with cardamom powder in a food processor or mixer grinder and make a powder. ( little coarse should be ok).
- In a non stick wok, add the 4 tsp ghee first and add the powdered channa dal and star stirring.
- Keep on stirring, until it thickens.
- Add the saffron strands.