Lotus seeds or Phool Makhana or fox nuts is a new ingredient to me. I never know that it is used in North India in different dishes like kheers, subzi, etc... The recipe, Roasted Lotus seeds / Roasted phool makhana / Roasted foxnuts is a very simple and guilt free snack using the puffed lotus seeds. Since this is the first time, using this lotus seeds, I choose the easy and simple recipe. This is very healthy snack and you can replace your popcorn with these seeds.
These seeds contains more protein, calcium, iron, phosphorous and zinc and are eaten during the fasting in North India. After tasting this recipe, I have decided to buy these, in regular basis. You can store these roasted makhanas in air tight container and have it anytime you want. Now to the recipe...
How to make Roasted Lotus Seeds / Roasted Phool Makhana / Roasted Fox nutsPreparation time: 05 min | Cook Time: 05 min | Serves: 4
Recipe Category: Snacks | Recipe Cuisine: North Indian
1. Puffed Lotus seeds - 2 cups
2. Oil - 1 tsp
3. Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
4. Turmeic powder - 2 pinch
5. Pepper powder - a pinch (optional)
6. Chat masala - 1/2 tsp ( or as required )
7. Salt - as per taste
1. Dry roast the lotus seeds / foxnut until crispy. ( you can just pinch a little lotus seed and check or even taste one and check ). When they are cripsy, take them and keep aside.
2. In another pan, add oil and when hot add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, and salt and give a stir.
4. Add the chat masala finally and give a quick stir, until the seeds are well coasted with masalas.
5. Serve them hot or store it in a air tight container.
1. These can be stored in a air tight container, for more than a week.
2. If the seeds looses its crunchiness, just dry roast them for 4 to 5 min and it will regain its crispiness.