Pepper Rasam or Milagu Rasam is always a comforting food for my family when anyone gets cold. That too my mom makes it so simple and avoid tomatoes in it. When I get cold in my childhood days my mom used to prepare this and I will drink this pepper rasam. There are many varieties in making this pepper rasam by adding dal water, tomatoes, etc. But here we see the simplest way.
You can check some more Rasam recipes here
How to make Pepper Rasam / Milagu Rasam
Preparation time: 15 min | Cook Time: 10min | Serves: 4
Recipe Category: Main dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Pepper – 2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
Red chilli – 1
Garlic – 2 cloves chopped
Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
Water – 1.5 + 2 cups
Curry leaves – few
Rasam powder – 2 tsp ( optional ) ( I did not add here)
Asafoetida – little ( 3 pinch )
Turmeric powder – a pinch
Oil – 1 tsp
Ghee – 1 tsp (optional)
Salt – as per taste
2. Crush the pepper, cumin seeds and garlic. Crush the tamarind and Extract the tamarind water. Keep it aside.
3. In a kadai/wok, add the oil and when hot add the Urud dal and when it becomes light brown, add the curry leaves and red chilli. Fry for a minute and then add half the crushed pepper garlic paste. Fry them again until nice aroma comes. Add the tamarind extract.
4. Add the remaining 2 cups of water and add the asafoetida and remaining crushed pepper garlic. At this stage if you want you can add the rasam powder. (I have not added here).
5. Add the ghee and when it starts boiling add the coriander leaves.
6. Just allow to boil for 2 min and switch off.