This Vendakkai Pulikuzhambu or ladies finger tamarind gravy is again a signature recipe of my MIL. My Mothers preparation of the Kuzhambu would be slightly different from this version. Will soon post that version also. We can keep this kuzhambu for 2 to 3 days without fridge also, just by heating in the night. Last week my MIL prepared this vendakkai Pulikuzhambu and I clicked the snaps. We had this Pulikuzhambu with potato roast.
How to make Vendakkai Pulikuzhambu
Total Time: 32 min | Serves: 5
Ladies Finger / Okra / Vendakkai - 1/4 kg
1. Wash and Chop the ladies finger and fry it with 1/2 tsp of oil for 5 min. Set it aside. Soak the tamarind with 1/2 cup water to get tamarind extract.
2. In the same kadai, add another 1 tsp of oil and add onion, fry for few min. Add tomato and grated coconut. Fry them nicely.
3. Transfer the content to the mixer grinder and grind to the fine paste. In the same kadai, again add the oil and when hot add the mustard, Urud dal, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds. Add the onion and garlic and fry till onions are soft.
4. Add the remanding tomato, curry leaves and coriander leaves. When they become mushy, add the chilli powder, coriander powder, salt and turmeric powder.
5. Add the fried ladies finger, water and the tamarind water. Cook for 5 min. Add the ground paste and cook again.
6. If the gravy is thick, add some water. Check for the seasoning and switch off the stove.
7. Serve the spicy vendakkai puli kuzhambu with rice.