How to make carrot Beans Poriyal / Carrot and beans Stir fry
Preparation time: 20 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Serves:4
Recipe Category: Side Dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Carrot – 1 (chopped to small pieces)
- Beans – 100 gms (chopped to small pieces)
- Green gram – 5 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 2 pinchs
- Urud dal – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Curry leaves – few
- Onion – 1 small
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1. Wash and pressure cook the green gram / moong dal or paasi paruppu for 1 whistle with 1/2 cup of water. Drain the excess water and keep aside. (Dont cook more, as it tends to cook faster).
2. Cut the carrot and beans in to small pieces as shown. In a vessel, add oil and when hot, add in the black gram, mustard seeds and curry leaves.
3. Add the red chillies and fry for few min. Add the chopped onion and fry till they are translucent. Add in the salt and turmeric powder (optional).
4. Add in the veggies now sprinkling little water. Here you can use the excess water of the cooked moong dal if any or you can use the ordinary water. Do not add excess water as the veggies may over cooked and may loose their crunchiness. Add in the Moong dal now.
5. Give a stir and allow to cook. When the veggies got cooked, then add in the grated coconut and give a stir.
6. Serve the yummy carrot beans poriyal as the side dish for any rice.
- If you want, you may add sambar powder along with turmeric powder.
- Turmeric powder is optional.
- If you do not like coconut, you can omit that too.