How to make Poosanikai kootu
Preparation time: 20 min | Cook Time: 10 min | Serves: 4
Recipe Category: Side dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Poosanikkai / White pumpkin – 300 gms
- Bengal gram / Kadalai paruppu – 4 tsp (1/2 cup)
- Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Green chillies – 2
- Cumin seeds / Jeera – 2 tsp
- Rice – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Red chilli – 1
1. Soak the rice for 30 min.
2. Cook the bengal gram separately till it becomes soft and keep aside.
3. Now remove the skin, seeds and middle white portion of the pumpkin or ash gourd. Cut into cubes and wash it.
4. In a wok or kadai or a vessel, add the ash gourd, turmeric powder, a pinch of salt and water just to cover the vegetables. Cover and cook it.
5. Meanwhile, take the soaked rice, cumin seeds, green chillies and coconut and grind to a smooth paste.
8. Meanwhile, prepare the tadka or thalippu. In a small pan, add oil, and when hot add in the mustard seeds, urud dhal, curry leaves, red chilli and fry for a min.
9. Transfer this content to the cooked vegetables, give a stir.
10. Yummy kootu is ready to be served with rice.
1. You can reduce the quantity of Bengal gram to half and add the moong dal.
2. While doing the seasoning or thalippu, you can add the finely chopped small onion and fry and can be added to the vegetables.
You can also look at