- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Water – 3 cups
- Onion – 1
- Jeera – 2 tsps
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 1 (optional)
- Fennel seeds – 2 pinchs (optional)
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch (optional)
- Star anise – 1 (optional)
- Bay leaf – little crushed (optional)
- Salt – 1 tsp ( or as per taste)
1. Soak the basmati rice for 20 to 30 min in water.
2. Mean while heat oil and add the fennel seeds, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and star anise and fry for a while.
3. Add the jeera and fry. Add in the chopped onions, green chillies and coriander leaves.
4. Add the ghee and saute the onion well. Add the water and allow to boil.
5. Add the soaked rice and let it cook for 10 min in sim.
6. Give a stir and serve with raita or any side dish.
I had it with lima beans curry which I will be posting soon.