Murukku is one of my all time favorite. Many people prepare it for festive seasons like diwali, pongal etc… but when I want to munch something, I do these murukkus in bulk and keep it for future use. Today we will see the simple and basic murukku which is very easy to prepare.
- Riceflour – 2 cups
- Black gram/urud dhal flour – 2 tsp
- Melted butter/butter – 2 tsp (at room temp)
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Ajwain / omam – 1 tsp
- Water – 1/2 cup (more or less as needed to make a dough )
- Salt – as per taste (mostly 1/4th tsp)
- Mix the rice flour and the black gram flour.
- To this, add the butter, ajwain seeds, and salt and mix well.
- Add asafoetida.
- Add Water little by little and make a smooth dough.
- In the murukku press, take half the quantity of the dough and put inside.
- In a plastic sheet make a round shaped murukku as shown by pressing the murukku press.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in kadai, in medium flame.
- When it is hot, slowly put one murukku at a time.
- When the iiisssshhhh sound stops from the murukku or the murukku becomes golden colour, take them out from the oil.
- Store in a airtight container and munch it whenever u want.
- When using salted butter, reduce the salt quantity while adding.
- Ajwain can be replaced by cumin seeds.
- I used store bought flours and they both are already fried. If not fry both the flours for a min or 2.