Mushroom masala is one one of my favorite dish. My mom does not cook mushrooms at home. So i do not get a chance of tasting it. In my college days, When we went Vasanta bavan, my friends ordered this as a side dish for Butter naan and this tasted awesome. So whenever I go hotel, I used to order this. After marriage when I tried this first time it was a hit. But after that, some how, I could not prepare this. So thought this would be a apt time for me to prepare this again for my event Dish name starts with M. And of-course, everybody likes it again.... Lets see the preparation of the tempting Mushroom Masala...
- White Button Mushrooms - 1 pkt
- Cumin seeds – a pinch
- Fennel seeds – a pinch
- Star anise – 1 – crushed nicely
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch – crushed nicely
- Cloves – 3 to 4 - crushed nicely
- Cardamom powder – a pinch
- Onion – 2 – chopped finely or (grinded to paste)
- Tomato – 2 ( grinded to fine paste)
- Green chillies - 2 (chopped finely)
- Fenugreek/kasuri methi leaves - 1 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt as per taste
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Lemon juice/vinegar – 1 tsp
- Milk – ½ cup (optional)
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Onion, lemon pieces – for garnishing
- Water – as needed
- In a kadai, add oil and when add all the spices, like cumin seeds, fennel seeds, star anise, cinnamon stick, cloves and fry for 2 min.
- Add the green chillies and onion paste and let it saute.
- Meanwhile wash the white button mushrooms nicely and cut into 4 pieces.
- In another pan, add 1 tsp ghee and fry the mushrooms for a while and keep aside.
- Now to the onion paste add the ginger garlic paste and fry till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add in the tomato paste, salt, chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and let it cook, till the oil gets separated.
- Now add in the fried mushrooms, kasuri methi/fenugreek leaves, and garam masala and mix well.
- Add the cream/milk and cook well.
- If the gravy becomes thick, add little water.
- The oil oozes out from the gravy.
- Add the lemon juice at this time, mix well and switch off the stove.
- Garnish with coriander leaves, lemon slice and onion and serve with roti, naan or chappathi.
- I had it with Naan.
- Instead of Milk, cream can also be added but reduce by 1/2 the quantity of milk used.
This goes to the following events
Dish Name Starts with M
SYF & HWS - Cook with spices series by Anu and kaveri venkatesh