Masala Bread or Masala Bread Upma what ever you may call it, is a wonderful quick dish which can be made in a jiffy on a lazy day. Sometimes, when there is leftover bread or you got bored of eating the same bread, then you can try this kind of different recipes using the bread. More bread recipes to come on this blog. Also I used the whole wheat bread to make it more healthy.
Some quick breakfast recipes for you...
Ragi semiya upma
Vegetable Rice Sevai Upma
1. Bread slices - 8
2. Onion - 1 big (cut lengthwise)
3. Tomato - 1 big
4. Green peas - 1/4 cup (optional)
5. Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
6. Tomato Sauce - 1 tbsp (optional)
7. Olive oil - 2tbsp
8. Mustard seeds - 1/5 tsp
9. Black gram - 1/4 tsp
10. Curry leaves - 1 spring
11. Coriander leaves for garnishing
1. Turmeric powder - 1/5 tsp
2. Chilli powder - 1 tsp
3. Coriander powder - 3/4 tsp
4. Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Garam masala powder - 1/4 tsp
6. Salt as per taste
1. Try to cut the bread slices into the square shaped as shown below. But any shapes can do well.
2. Add little oil in a tawa and fry the bread pieces.
3. Let it slightly turn in to brown colour. But do not over fry them. Remove and cool them.
4. In same vessel, add oil and when hot, add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add the urud dal(black gram) and add curry leaves.
5. Add the onion, green chillies and the ginger garlic paste. Fry till, the ginger garlic smell goes off.
6. Add the tomato, when the onions have become translucent.
7. Add the ingredients in list II one by one.
8. Add the green peas and the water and cook for a while. (till green peas gets cooked).
10. Add the tomato sauce now.
11. Add the bread pieces and mix them well, so that all the masala gets coated well.
12. When the bread pieces, become soft and cooked, garnish with coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
13. Yummy Masala bread Upma is ready to be served.
1. Frying the bread is done, in order to prevent the bread becoming soggy while adding to the masala / gravy which we prepared.
2. Instead of Olive oil, you can use normal cooking oil also.
3. Adding tomato sauce is purely optional. But it gives a nice tangy taste to the dish.
4. If you like you can add some vegetables and make it more healthier version.