Chettinad Pepper chicken is one of my favorite chicken dish. If my family members does not go for any choice in chicken, then I always go with this. I always love the peppery flavor in it.
- Chicken – 750 gms
- Onion – 1 big (chopped finely)
- Tomato – 1 big (chopped finely)
- Curry leaves – 10 to 12
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 5 to 6
- Bay leaf – 1 (crushed)
- Star anise – 2
- Cinnamon stick – 2 (crushed)
- Green chilli – 2 (chopped finely)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp (coarsely grinded)
- Salt – as per taste
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
Ingredients II (For marination)
- Chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- White Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp (optional)
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Wash the chicken nicely with salt.
- Marinate the chicken with the ingredients in II for 40min to 1 hr atleast.
- Meanwhile, you can start with the recipe.
- In a kadai or wok, add oil.
- When hot, add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cardamom, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise and bay leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves.
- Add in the onion and salt and fry till onion translucent.
- Add the Ginger Garlic paste, till the raw smell goes off.
- Now add in the tomato and cook till it becomes mushy or the oil starts oozes out.
- Now add the marinated chicken pieces and close with a lid.
- Do not add any water, as the chicken itself leaves enough water to cook and it cooks with all the masala’s in it.
- Keep the flame in low to medium, so as to take care, it is not burnt at the bottom.
- When chicken is cooked, add in the crushed pepper corns and mix well and allow to cook again for 5 min.
- Add the lemon juice and switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with any rice or roti.
- Marination enhances the taste. You can do without the marination also. If you prefer without marination, then you can add the powders, after the tomato is cooked.
- Pepper can be reduced or increased as per your family taste.
Other Chicken recipes in this blog