Mangai Murungai Kaththiri Sambar / Mango Drumstick Brinjal Sambar is one of my favorite sambar. This combination of sambar will always be a hit in our house. Hope my fellow bloggers and readers would accept it and it is most of the people’s favorite. I have already posted this mangai murungai sambar with a traditional way of cooking with sambar powder and will update the step by step pictures soon. Here we will see how this sambar can be made very easily without the sambar powder and the taste would also be great. So you can try this if your sambar powder is out of stock and let me know how it came.
How to make the Mangai Murungai Kathiri Sambar
Akilas kitchenIndianMain CoursePreparation time: 10 min | Cook time: 25 min | Serves: 5
- Raw Mango – 1
- Drumstick – 1
- Brinjal – 4
- Onion – 1 big
- Tomato – 2 medium size
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/5 tsp
- Toor dal/bengal gram – 1/4 cup
- Water – 5 to 6 cups
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Ghee – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- Urud dal – 1/2 tsp
- Red chillies – 2
- Curry leaves – few
1. Soak and pressure cook the dal with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles and keep aside.
2. Wash and cut the mango in a bigger size as shown below. (My raw mango, is about to ripen and so in yellow colour). Wash and cut the drumstick as shown.
3. Wash and cut the brinjal lengthwise and soak in water immediately. In a wok/kadai, add oil and when hot add the onion and saute well.
4. When the onion becomes soft, add the drumstick and brinjal and fry for a 3 to 4 min. Then add in the raw mango.
5. Fry for another 2 min. Add the water and allow to boil. Add the tomatoes. The tomatoes gets cooked along with the other veggies.
6. Add the coriander powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix them well. Close the vessel and let it cook for 6 to 8 min or until the veggies are half cooked. Add the asafoetida now.
7. Add the cooked dal and dal water now. Again close and cook for anther 8 to 10 min or until the veggies are fully cooked. In another pan or kadai, add 1 tsp oil and when it is hot, add the ingredients given under To temper and fry for 2 min.
8. Add this tempering to the sambar and add 1 tsp ghee finally. Give a stir, switch off the stove.