- Gram flour (Kadalai Maavu) – 1.5 cups
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp (coarsely crushed)
- Cumin Seeds/Jeera seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Warm Water – as required to make a dough
- Mix all the ingredients together except the water.
- Add the water little by little to make a dough slightly softer than chappathi dough.
- (It should not be watery).
- In a kadai, heat the oil in medium flame.
- In the Murukku maker or Kaarasev maker, put the dough inside and press the handle. ( I took a lemon sized dough and kept on the laddle and pressed with my thumb ).
- When the sev becomes golden brown, remove and filter the oil with a kitchen tissue.
- Store in a air tight container.
- Oil can be replaced with ghee, but i prefer oil.
- Chilli powder can be adjusted according to taste as we need to add the pepper also.