But, as my children started liking this chutney, now a days it has become a regular chutney for dosa or rawa dosa. I prepared this for Instant oats dosa and the combination is just great. This is an easy Chutney which can be prepared in just 10 minutes. When I am lazy to prepare some other chutney, this onion tomato chutney comes in a great help.
There are so many variations for this chutney in which you can add the garlic or you can fry the channa dal along with urud dal and grind together. Each one gives a different taste each time, which you can try in each time.
This chutney when mixed with the gingelly oil or ghee before serving gives a great taste and if you have added more chilli, then this will neutralize the spiciness.
- Mustard seeds – little or a pinch
- Urud dal – 1/2 tsp
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 3
- Dry Red chillies – 3 to 4
- Sesame Oil ( nallennai ) – 2 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Mustard seeds – 2 pinch
- Urud dal – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – little ( I put 8 leaves )
- Coriander – very little
- Gingelly oil – 1 tbsp
Video Recipe for Onion Tomato Chutney
Printable recipe for Onion Tomato Chutney
Easy Onion Tomato Chutney Recipe which goes well with idli, dosa, chappathi etc.
- Mustard seeds A pinch
- 1/4 Tsp Urud dal
- 2 Onion
- 3 or 4 Tomatoes
- 3 Red chillies Can add 1 extra
- 2 Tbsp Sesame oil
- Salt as per taste
- 2 Pinch mustard seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Urud dal
- 1 Spring Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp Ghee/gingelly oil
- Little Coriander
In a pan, add the oil and when hot add the onion and sauté it well ( around 3/4 cooked or it has become translucent ).
Then add the tomato and red chillies and sauté it.
Add required salt and grind it to a coarse paste and transfer to the bowl.
In another pan, add the oil and when hot, add mustard seeds. When it splutters add the Urud dhal, curry leaves. Then mix this to the chutney.
Serve this yummy chutney with idli or dosa.
Step by step Pictorial for Onion Tomato Chutney
1. Add oil in a Kadai or vessel.
2. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds. When it splitters, add urud dal.
3. Fry for few minutes.
4. Add the red chillies and fry again for few minutes.
5. Add onion and sautè for few minutes till it becomes translucent.
6. Add tomatoes now and again sautè till it becomes mushy.
7. Transfer all the contents to a food processor or mixer grinder.
8. Add required salt and grind to a smooth paste.
9. Now prepare the tempering. In the same kadai, add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add the urud dal and fry for a min.
10. Add curry leaves and fry for few seconds.
11. Transfer the ground chutney to a serving bowl.
12. Add the prepared the tempering on top of it.
13. Serve it with idli or dosa.
14. Yummy Onion Tomato Chutney is ready.
1. The taste and colour of this chutney depends on how much time we sauté the onion and tomato chutney and depends on the red chillies we use. If you use Kashmiri red chillies, it gives nice color but not that spicy. Andhra chillies give less color but more are spicy.
2. While serving you can add little ghee and serve for kids as it helps to reduce to spiciness.