Sundakkai Vathal kuzhambu / Sundakkai Vatral Kuzhambu is a delicious and yummy vatral kulambu. This is my mothers signature recipe. I have already posted manathakkali vatha kuzhambu which my most favorite kuzhambu. When my father came here last time, he bought different kind of vathals and now only I started using each one of them. There is another version of this vatha kuzhambu, which i will post soon.
You can view some of the Kuzhambu recipes below
Manathakkali Vatral kuzhambu
Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu
Urundai Mor Kuzhambu
Masal Vadai Kuzhambu
Now lets see the preparation of this kuzhambu.
How to make Sundakkai Vathal Kuzhambu
Preparation time: 10 min | Cook Time: 30 min | Serves: 4
Recipe Category: Main Course | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Sundakkai Vatral (Dried Turkey Berry) – 1 cup
- Onion – 1 big
- Garlic – 2 to 3 cloves (chopped finely)
- Tamarind – 1 gooseberry size
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – a pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Black gram – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Dried Red Chilli – 4 (optional)
- Coconut milk – 1 cup (optional)
1. Wash the sundakkai and let it dry completely. Meanwhile soak the tamarind in the hot water for 10 to 15 min and extract the juice from it.
2. In a pan, add oil and when hot, add the mustard, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, black gram and curry leaves. Fry till the seeds becomes brown color. Add in the onion and garlic and saute them well.
3. When the onion becomes translucent, add the tamarind extract. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
4. Mix them well and allow to boil. In another pan, add 1 tsp oil and add the sundakkai vathal (dried turkey berry). Fry for 3 to 5 min or till it becomes light brown colour.
5. In the same oil, add the red chillies and fry for 2 min. (This step is purely optional. You can very well skip this step). Now add the turkey berry to the boiling kuzhambu. Allow to boil for another 5 to 6 min.
6. Add the coconut milk at this stage and let it boil for just 4 to 5 mor min. Switch off the stove and serve with rice.
6. Yummy and spicy sundakkai vatha kuzhambu is ready.