Rasam is always my favorite. After searching in net, got the recipe from Ramani's recipes and thought to give a try. It was really very delicious. Here is the recipe.
- Jackfruits - 5 to 6
- Thuvar dhal water - 1/2 cup (Optional)
- Mustard Seeds - a pinch
- Tomato - 1 (cut into pieces)
- Tamarind - 1/2 lemon size
- Dry Red Chillies - 2 to 3
- Rasam Powder - 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves - few
- Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Pepper seeds - 1/5th tsp (crushed)
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Coriander leaves - few
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tsp
- Salt - as per taste
- Water - 4 cups
- Turmeric - a pinch (Optional)
- Sugar/Jaggery - 1/2 to 1 tsp (Optional)
- Pressure cook the toor dal (Thuvaram paruppu) with 3 cups of water adding a pinch of turmeric and keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 10 to 15 min and extract the water alone.
- In a kadai or pan, add oil, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a min.
- Add the Jackfruit pieces and add ghee and saute well or till they become little soft.
- Now add the tomato pieces or crushed tomato.
- Now add in the tamarind water, dal water, salt, pepper powder, rasam powder, Asafoetida and if needed add 1 more cup of water and cook in medium flame.
- When it starts boiling, add in the sugar/jaggery(optional) and coriander leaves and switch off.
- Serve the hot and have Jackfruit rasam with rice and papad.
This goes to the following recipes
Dish Name Starts with J
Flavors of south India by Simple.food