- Jackfruits – 5 to 6
- Thuvar dhal water – 1/2 cup (Optional)
- Mustard Seeds – a pinch
- Tomato – 1 (cut into pieces)
- Tamarind – 1/2 lemon size
- Dry Red Chillies – 2 to 3
- Rasam Powder – 2 tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Cumin Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper seeds – 1/5th tsp (crushed)
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Coriander leaves – few
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 4 cups
- Turmeric – a pinch (Optional)
- Sugar/Jaggery – 1/2 to 1 tsp (Optional)
- Pressure cook the toor dal (Thuvaram paruppu) with 3 cups of water adding a pinch of turmeric and keep aside.
- Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water for 10 to 15 min and extract the water alone.
- In a kadai or pan, add oil, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, red chillies, curry leaves and fry for a min.
- Add the Jackfruit pieces and add ghee and saute well or till they become little soft.
- Now add the tomato pieces or crushed tomato.
- Now add in the tamarind water, dal water, salt, pepper powder, rasam powder, Asafoetida and if needed add 1 more cup of water and cook in medium flame.
- When it starts boiling, add in the sugar/jaggery(optional) and coriander leaves and switch off.
- Serve the hot and have Jackfruit rasam with rice and papad.
This goes to the following recipes