Khara Pongal / Ven pongal is a tasty and filling breakfast in the morning. It is also prepared during festival times. I just love the smell of the thalippu which we do during the pongal. Ven Pongal with medhu vadai is a awesome combination. If I happen to go to hotel in the morning, I always go for pongal with vadai only than any other breakfast. I already posted ven pongal, but this is with step by step pictures and here I am going to cook the dal and rice separately. Lets see how to prepare basic Ven pongal in step by step method.
You can also view some break fast recipes here
Idiyappam / String hoppers
How to make Ven Pongal / Khara Pongal RecipePreparation time: 5 min | Cook Time: 15min | Serves:4
Recipe Category: Break fast | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Raw Rice - 2 cups
- Paasi Paruppu (Split yellow moong dal) - 1 cup
- Ghee - 6 to 8 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper - 1 tsp
- Ginger - 1 inch (cut into small pieces)
- Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
- Cashews - a 15 to 18
- Curry leaves - few
- Salt - as per taste ( I used 3/4 tsp)
- Water - 6 cups for rice and 2 cups for dal
1. Take the 2 cups raw rice and 1 cup dal.
1. If you are using dalda, you can add half ghee + half dalda. I used fully ghee only.
2. If the pongal is bit dry, you can add, 3 to 4 tsp, hot water, to make the perfect consistency.
3. If the pongal is watery, you can cook for some more time, till it comes to the correct consistency.