How to make Channa Pulao
Cloves – 4
Cinnamon stick – 1
Cardomom – 1
Bayleaf – 1
Star Anise – 2
Onion – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
Ginger Garlic Paste – 1 tbspGreen Chillies – 2 (slit into half – lengthwise)
Channa powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped nicely)
Oil – 2 tbsp
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cashews – few (optional)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
Salt – as per taste
2. Soak channa for 4 hrs and pressure cook for 3 whistles. (* See notes)
3. In a pressure cooker, add oil and add the spices one by one and fry for a min.
4. Add the onion, green chillies and the ginger garlic paste and saute till the onion becomes translucent.
5. Add the coriander leaves and salt.
6. Saute them.
7. Add the channa masala powder.
8. Add the channa.
9. Add the water and when boiling, add the soaked rice.
10. Cover and cook under low flame for exactly 10 min. When the pressure goes down, remove the lid.
11. Add the ghee and mix well, without breaking the rice.
12. Serve hot with raita.
Check the video here
1. If channa is soaked overnight, no need to pressure cook it separately. It will become very mushy, as we cook it along with rice. If soaked for 4 hours, pressure cook first and then again cook with rice.
2. Adding the channa masala is enough, as it gives unique flavor. If you want, you can add garam masala also. But keep in mind to check for the spiciness.