For this blog anniversary, I thought of doing something special…(what-else nothing but a sweet… but not a regular one… ) Saw many our blogger friends doing Chenna Poda last month for the ICC challenge. It was a very new recipe for me and finally decided to make this and it came out good.
- Milk – 2 litres ( I used full cream milk)
- Lemon juice/Vinegar – 2 tsp
- Semolina/Rawai/sooji – 1/4 cup
- Raisins – 3 tsp
- Cashews and Pistachios – 2 tsp
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Ghee – 4 tsp
- Sugar – 1 cup + 1/4 cup
- Water – 2 tsp
- Boil the milk and when it is boiling, add the lemon juice/vinegar.
- The milk gets curdled and strain the curdled milk in a muslin cloth and add plenty of water to remove the sourness of the lemon.
- Allow the water to drain from the chhena/paneer for 1 hr. or keep a heavy bottomed pan on this cloth for 30 min or till most of the water drains from the chhena (paneer) (its nothing but preparing paneer – crumbled paneer).
- To the chhena, add the rawa/semolina/sooji, sugar and 2 tsp of ghee and mix well.
- Meanwhile, in a small pan, add 1 tsp of ghee and fry the cashews, pistachios and raisins till golden brown colour and pour to the chenna mixture.
- Add the milk and mix well, to form a dough.
- In order to prepare the caramel, 2 ways can be choosen (this is a bit tricky part)
1. In a pan, add 1/4 sugar and water and bring to single thread consistency and pour immediately to the greased (with 1 tsp ghee) baking pan and spread it.
2. Add the 1 tsp ghee, water and sugar to the baking pan itself and show on the stove stop/keep in oven, till the sugar melts and spread it.
(I chose the 2nd method and since it has to be done quickly, cannot able to take the picture)
- After making the caramelized sugar, transfer the chenna mixture to this baking pan and bake it for 50 to 60 min.
- By inserting a toothpick, check if it comes out clean without any dough sticking on it.
- Allow the cake to cool, invert it, cut into slices and serve the delicious dessert.
- Can be refrigerated and used within a week. (Thought of doing so, but got over within a hour)