Matar Paneer is a quick, tasty and popular North Indian dish which is served as a side dish to naan, chappathi or pulaos. The soft paneer is cooked in tomato gravy with the Indian masala. This mutter paneer I did last week as a side dish for veg pulao and the combination is simply great. Everyone in my family loved it.
Paneer Cake / Chhena Poda
Apple cherry custard with paneer
How to make Matar Paneer
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Whole black Pepper – 2 pinch (around 5 to 6)
Fennel seeds – 1/5 tsp
Cloves – 2 to 3
Star anise – 1
Cinnamon stick – 1
Panner – 200 gms (How to make paneer)
Green peas – 1 cup
Butter/oil – 2 tbsp
Onion – 2 medium sized
Tomato – 2 medium sized
Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Salt – as per taste
Cashews – 6 to 8
Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp crushed
Tomato Sauce – 2 tbsp
Red food colour – 2 to 3 drops
Cream / Malai or Milk – 1/2 can (Milk – 1 cup)
Coriander leaves for garnishing
3. Add the tomato and the crush the fenugreek leaves and add them. Sauté the tomato well. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder and salt.
4. Add the cashews and sprinkle little water and let them cook well.
5. Now transfer the content to a food processor and grind to a smooth paste.
6. In the same pan add oil or butter and add the onion tomato paste. Now add the paneer and the green peas.
7. Add little water and let them cook well. Now add the cream or milk.
8. Add the garam masala and cook again for few more minutes. Add coriander leaves and serve hot.
9. Matar paneer Masala is ready.
1. Adding butter increases the taste.
2. You can add a 1/2tsp of sugar, which enhances the taste.
3. Since I do not have cream in hand, I added milk. But I suggest to add cream, as it gives rich taste to the gravy.