We always tend to forget to post some recipes, which we do it most often, thinking that, it is not of much importance. Such a kind of recipe is Pottukadalai chutney recipe / Fried Gram dal Chutney. I prepared this last Saturday and had it for the breakfast, suddenly, I remembered that I have not posted this recipe. So the next day, I prepared it again and clicked it. It may sound very simple but, you believe it or not, in my early stages after marriage, I do not know how to cook this Pottukadalai chutney. This chutney is my hubby’s favorite and he used to cook it for me during weekend. The second chutney, I learnt in my cooking life. First being the tomato chutney and third, ground nut chutney.
Pottukadalai chutney Recipe/Roasted gram chutney
Preparation time: 10 min | Cook Time: 05 min | Serves:4
Recipe Category: Side Dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
- Pottukadai / Fried gram dal – 1 cup
- Coconut grated – 1/4 cup
- Green chillies – 3
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – 1/2 cup ( or adjust accordingly)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – a pinch
- Urud dal / Black gram – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 5 to 6
- Dry chilli – 1
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
1. Take 1 cup of Pottukadalai and slightly dry roast it for just a minute. Take a food processor and add the pottukadalai, salt and green chilli and water and grind to a paste.
2. Now add the grated coconut and grind again to a coarse paste. Transfer the content to a bowl.
3. In a kadai, add oil and when hot, add the ingredients under the To Temper, one by one and fry a min. When they are slight brown, switch off the stove and add this temper to the chutney. Mix and serve it .
4. Goes very well with Idli, Dosa or Pongal etc.