I was searching the net for a different variety of Prawn recipe and I got this Prawn Roast / Chemmeen Roast in Kerala style from Kurry leaves. The recipe is simple and the addition coconut pieces, tempts me to try the recipe. I did a very little variations to it and the outcome is a very tasty and Spicy Prawn Roast with tiny bits of coconut pieces tastes awesome.
Now lets see how to make Prawn Roast in Kerala Style.
How to make Kerala style Prawn Roast
Preparation time: 40 min | Cook Time: 25 min | Serves:4
Recipe Category: Side Dish | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Coconut pieces – 1/4 cup
mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
Onion – 2 (cut length wise)
Green chillies – 2 (cut lengthwise)
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 1 spring (20 to 25)
Grated Coconut – 2 tsp (optional)
Oil – 2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tsp
Black Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
Salt – as per taste
1. Marinate the prawns with the list of ingredients given under marination.
2. Let it rest for 1 hr.
3. In a pan, add oil and when hot add the mustard seeds and the fenugreek seeds.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, add in the onion, ginger garlic paste, curry leaves and green chillies.
5. Saute them well.
6. Add in the coconut pieces and fry them for 2 to 3 min.
7. Add in the marinated prawns and cook them by sprinkling little water.
8. Mix them well. Check for the salt and also add the grated coconut.
9. I added little coconut milk, as I felt that the prawns are very spicy.
10. When they are thick or when the oil oozes out, then switch off the flame.
11. Garnish with coriander leaves and onion and serve
- The original recipes calls for fenugreek powder and as I dont have it ready made, I used normal fenugreek seeds. Next time would be trying with fenugreek powder.
- Also, I added coconut milk little, as I feld the prawns are very spicy and my kids cannot eat it. You can avoid that, if you can bear the spiciness.
- I also added grated coconut to make it more tastier.