How to make carrot kheer
Carrot – 1
Milk – 1.5 cups + 3 tbsp
Almonds – 7 to 8 (optional)
Cashews – 5 to 6 for frying in ghee + 10 (optional)
Raisins – 8 to 10 for frying in ghee
Sugar – 4 tbsp ( or as per taste )
Ghee – 2 tsp
Saffron – few strands
Cardamom pods – 3 (crushed)
Hot water for soaking almonds and cashews
2. In a pan/kadai, add 1/2 tsp ghee.
3. When it is hot add the cashews, fry till golden brown and keep it separately. In the same pan, add the raisins, fry it and keep it separately.
4. In the same pan, add 1 tsp ghee and add the grated carrots and fry it till the shhh sound stops (around after 4 to 5 min.)
5. Add 2 to 3 tsp milk and saute them slightly for another 3 min.
6. Transfer the content to the mixer, along with the soaked almonds, cashews and sugar. Grind to a smooth paste. (Add 2 to 3 tsp milk if needed)
7. In the same pan, add milk and add the saffron. Allow to boil.
8. Add the ground paste and mix nicely. Care to be taken, that it might get stick to the bottom and the sides of the pan. Keep on stirring gently.
9. Add the crushed cardamom and the fried cashews and raisins. Give a stir. Check whether the kheer came to a little thick consistency as shown below.
10. Switch off the stove and serve the hot and delicious carrot kheer.
1. Addition of cashews while grinding is purely optional. It enhances the kheer taste. If you are health or diet conscious, you can avoid it.