Drumstick Rasam / Murungai Rasam
Drumsticks – 1 no (long)
Tamarind Pulp – 1 tbsp
Red Gram (Thuvaram Parippu, Toor Dal) – 3 tbsp
Turmeric Powder (Manjal Podi, Haldi Powder) – 1/4 tsp
Peppercorns – 5 to 7 nos
Coriander Seeds – 1 tsp
Split Bengal Gram – 1 tsp
Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves
Tomatoes – 1 no (chopped into small pieces)
Salt as per taste
Asafoetida – A pinch
Curry Leaves – 1 stalk
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chillies – 5 to 6 nos
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Oil or Ghee – 2 tsp
Coriander Leaves chopped – 1 tbsp
1. Pressure Cook Red Grams in water for 2 to 3 whistles with a pinch of turmeric powder. Keep it aside.
3. Heat Oil or Ghee in a pan and fry Peppercorns, Coriander Seeds, Bengal Gram, crushed Garlic and half of the dry Red Chillies.
5. Transfer the content to the food processor.
6. Grind into a paste adding little water. Keep it aside.
7. Take the Drumstsicks and cut them into 3 inch pieces. In a vessel add the cut drumsticks and add just enough water till the drumsticks are covered. Add a pinch of turmeric powder.
8. Cover and cook till done.
9. Meanwhile, extract the tamarind juice, and add the tomato, salt, asafoetida and keep ready. Also extract the red gram water and keep it ready.
10. Check whther the drumstick are cooked fully.
11. To this, add the tamarind water, and allow to boil. Add the ground paste (step 4).
12. When it starts boiling, add the red gram water
14. Add the tempering to the rasam.
15. Garnish with coriander leaves.