Nethilli Karuvadu Thokku or Nethilli Thokku is a easy thokku which I prepared last sunday. I want to finish the Anchovies / Nethilli, which I brought from India. I usually prepare the Nethilli Karuvadu fry or Nethilli sambal, but this time I want to try this thokku as the side dish for rice as well as for the chappathi.
Nethili Karuvadu Thokku
Anchovies / Nethili Karuvadu Thokku – 150gms
Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Turmeic powder – 2 pinch
Salt – 1 pinch (see notes)
II. For Gravy (Thokku)
Onion – 2 (chopped lengthwise)
Tomato – 2 (chopped nicely)
Garlic – 6 to 8
Dry red chillies – 2 to 3
Tamarind extract – from 1 lemon size tamarind
Curry leaves – few
Fenugreek seeds – a pinch
Mustard seeds – a pinch
Fenugreek + Dry chillies powder – 1 tsp (See Notes)
Jaggery – 1 tsp (Optional)
Coriander leaves – for garnishing
1. Soak the tamarind for 10 min and extract the juice.
3. Remove the head and pat dry.
4. Add the chilli powder, coriander powder, little salt and turmeric powder.
5. In a small kadai or pan, add the oil and when hot, add the fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds. Add the dry chilli and the curry leaves.
6. Add the onion, garlic. Saute them for a while.
7. Add the Tomato and saute it.
8. Add the tamarind extract.
9. Add the anchovies now.
10. Add little water and let it cook.
11. Add the chilli and fenugreek powder.
12. Add little jaggery or sugar. (this step is purely optional)
13. When the gravy thickens, switch off the stove and garnish with coriander leaves.
14. Serve the Nethili karuvadu thokku with rice.
1. Adding jaggery or sugar is purely optional.
2. Dry fry 2 dry chillies and fenugreek to light brown colour and grind to a coarse paste. (Check this Tomato thokku recipe for this preparation).