Horse gram Rasam (Soup)/Kollu Rasam Recipe without Rasam Powder:Rasam is always our family favorite. I usually prepare the Mango Rasam or Mangalore Rasam once a week surely. My grandma used to prepare the Kollu (Horsegram) Rasam in my childhood days. I thought I would not get this horsegram in Singapore. But when I went to the Mustafa shopping centre, I found this and started using to make rasam. These were also called as Galath, kulath, kulthi, Gahat, Kulith or Huruli Saaru. The Health Benefits of Horsegram or Kollu is more. It helps in weightloss, good for diabetics, reduces menstruation problems, and high in proteins, vitamin C and Iron.
You can also check other kollu recipes below
Horsegram Rasam / Kollu Rasam / Kulith Rasam
- Horsegram - 1 cup
- Water - 2.5 cups to pressure cook
- Garlic - 3 pods
- Pepper - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 3/4 tsp (1/2 for crushing and 1/4 for frying)
- Tamarind - 1 gooseberry/amla size
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Black gram - 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies - 2 (crushed)
- Curry leaves - few for frying and few fresh leaves to add later
- Asafoetida - 2 pinch
- Turmeric powder - 2 pinch
- Salt - as per taste
- Water - 5 cups
- Coriander leaves - few
1. Horsegram / kollu is bit a hard gram. So we need to soak it overnight for good resuts. If cannot, soak in hotwater for 4 hrs, changing hot water om every hour.
6. In a vessel, add the oil and when hot, add the cumin seeds, black gram, crushed red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a while.
1. If you want you can add the rasam powder, while adding the turmeric and prepare. Then You can reduce the red chilli and the pepper.
2. If you like, you can take 3 tsp of cooked horsegram and grind to a fine paste and add it to the rasam. (its purely optional).
You can also check other Rasam Recipes below