Meen Kuzhambu / Spicy Fish Gravy – When I think of meen kulambu, I always have the feel that my mothers is the best. Not sure whether it is of the love and affection, she add along with her cooking or it is because of the experience or the both. After marriage, though I used to ask her the recipe and do the same what she says, I feel the taste never comes like hers. Though I am little bit ok now a days, still my Father says, my type meen kuzhambu, is different from my moms. Last sunday I cooked Kerala Style Prawn Roast and Masala Fish Fry and I asked my mother to cook this meen kuzhambu and noted down each and every measurements and steps and I am sharing with you all.
You can also view other Fish Recipes below…
Masala Fish Fry
Anchovies Fish Fry
Anchovies Dry Fish Fry
Restaurant Style Sura Puttu
Now lets see how to cook, My Mothers Special Meen kuzhambu..
How to make Meen Kuzhambu / Spicy Fish Gravy
Preparation time: 30 min | Cook Time: 30min | Serves:5
Recipe Category: Main Course | Recipe Cuisine: South Indian
Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
Black Pepper corns – 1 tsp
Shallots / Small onion – 10
Tomato – 1
Fish Pieces – 15 (I used Sankara Fish)
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 3 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 12 to 15
Onion – 1 big (chopped finely)
Tomato – 1 big (chopped finely)
Chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4tsp
Salt – 1/4 tsp
Hot water – 3 cups
Tamarind Pulp – 1 cup (Extracted from 2 gooseberry/amla sized tamarind)
Coriander leaves for garnishing.
Lets see the cooking method of Meen Kuzhambu.
1. Wash the fish with water thoroughly and again with salt and keep it ready.
3. Now take the washed fish in a big bowl and add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
9. When they turn light brown colour, add the onions and fry for a min or till they becomes traslucent. ( Plz add the curry leaves at this stage. As I forgot to add, added in the 12th step. )
10. Now add in the tomatoes and saute them well.
11. When they are soft add the chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
12. Add in the curry leaves and saute for another minute.
13. Add in the ground paste and saute till the raw smell goes off from the onion.
14. Add the tamarind pulp and let it boil,
15. Add the fish pieces now and let it cook nicely.
16. If the gravy is thick, add some hot water and let it boil for 15 to 20 min.
17. When the oil starts oozing out from the gravy, add the coriander leaves and switch off the stove.
18. Spicy Fish Gravy is now ready.