Rava Kichadi is one of my favorite breakfast recipe. I love to have it more when it is hot hot. I can eat it simply without any side dish also, but it tastes great with any spicy tomato chutney or simple coconut chutney. If you like you can add spices also. Since my hubby does not like spices in this kichadi, i avoided them. Also I added some veggies like carrot and green peas to give good taste. Lets see how to prepare this easy Rava Kichadi Recipe.
Rava Kichadi Recipe
Rava – 2 cup
Water – 6 cups
Oil – 3 tblsp
Ghee – 4 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green chilli – 3 (chopped finely)
Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp (or finely chopped ginger and garlic)
Salt – to taste
Onion – 1 (Chopped finely)
Tomato – 1 (Chopped Finely)
Carrot – 1/2 (Cut into small pieces)
Green Peas – 1/4 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Cashew nuts – few (optional)
1. In a Kadai or pan, add few drops of ghee. Dry roast the Rava. Do not over roast them. Keep it aside. Now in the same pan, add a tsp of ghee and fry the cashews till light brown colour. Keep aside.
3. When the onion turns translucent, add the tomato. Saute it nicely. Add the chopped carrots. Cook it, sprinkling little water.
5. Add the water now and allow to boil. Add the turmeric powder.
6. While it is boiling, add the roasted rava, little by little and keep on stirring to avoid the formation of lumps. (While doing this, keep the flame in low to medium).
7. Finally add the cashews and the remaining ghee and give a stir. (Cashews can be added along with the carrot also, but our family likes the crunchy taste of cashews, so added it finally).
8. Serve the hot kichadi with any of your favorite chutney. We had it with Potukadalai chutney.